Friday, November 28, 2014

How to install Symantec Protection for SharePoint

Hello all,

yesterday I mange to fix another mystery with Symantec Protection for SharePoint Servers (SPSS), latest version - 7.0.5.8.
Environment - SharePoint 2013 September 2014 CU.
According to Symantec the service account should have the following permissions:
  • Local Administrator - the server where SPSS will run
  • SharePoint Farm administrator
  • 'db_creator' Server Role on SQL
  • 'db_owner' permission for SharePoint Config and Content DBs
The installation itself finished successfully ... yeahhh.

BUT when I checked the SPSS service I was surprised -  the service was NOT RUNNING. If you try to start it I got the following error:


My first impression was that it should be something wrong with the account ... but it wasn't.
If you try to reinstall SPSS the result will be the same.

Fortunately inside the security log I found the following Audit Failure:




Fortunately this is easy to fix - just add the used account to the local GPO in log on as a service



And I thought finally it should start ... unfortunately no, it was not able to start ... grrrrrrrrr

The next error was:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Symantec Protection for SharePoint Servers Service
Date:          27.11.2014 11:39:04
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      XXXX
Description:
Module=DirectorThread | Exception message=Requested value 'SPVERSION' was not found. | Stack=   at System.Enum.TryParseEnum(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase, EnumResult& parseResult)
   at System.Enum.Parse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase)
   at Symantec.Sharepoint.Utility.FarmManager.IsSharePointFarm()
   at Symantec.Sharepoint.Service.DataAccess.SPSSDal. ()
   at Symantec.Sharepoint.Service.DataAccess.SPSSDal..ctor()
   at Symantec.Sharepoint.SPSSService.Code.DirectorThread.ThreadProc()



Symantec suggested the following:

The solution is to lower the User Account Control level during the install, or if needed turning off User Account Control for the account Symantec Protection for SharePoint Servers 6.0 will run as.  To do this go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> click on Change User Account settings.  Lower the level to Never notify, and click OK.  Attempt to install Symantec Protection for SharePoint Servers 6.0 again, this time the install should work without throwing the mentioned exception above.  After SPSS 6.0 is installed the User Account Control Level can be returned to its previous level.

Sounds good, sounds really good ... BUT no, this solution is not going to fix the problem.

The real solution is to disable the UAC through the registry - turn off UAC via registry by changing the DWORD "EnableLUA" from 1 to 0 in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system"

Reboot of the server is required and when I reinstall the SPSS everything was working just fine.

Hope you will find this article useful!

Enjoy and comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment